Alfred Schmitz Shadd, the fourth son born to Garrison and Harriet Pointdexter Shadd, lived life to its fullest. He is remembered for his diverse interests and unbridled energy. Despite growing up in relative poverty, Shadd dreamed of becoming a doctor and graduated from Trinity College at the University of Toronto in 1898. To cover the cost of his studies he taught school for a short time which is what brought him to Saskatchewan in 1896. The prairies and the people must have made an impression on him because he returned to the Kinistino area once his studies were completed. Dedicated to his craft and to life-long learning, Shadd pursued graduate studies in Europe at the age of 37.
Shadd’s diverse interests included farming and politics. He succeeded in growing the first crab-apple trees in the area and was also known for his successful mixed farming operation. His pride and joy was a bull called Bandsman’s Choice, a prize winner at the Toronto Exhibition.
His political career was less notable, losing his bid for the Northwest Territories Assembly in 1901 and then the Legislative Assembly in 1905. Nevertheless he continued to involve himself in politics and proved to be a powerful and influential public speaker. He also found other ways to promote his political ideas as owner/operator of the Carrot River Journal from 1908 – 1912.
His community spirit and boundless energy kept him involved in community affairs. He served on Town Council, was a member of the School Board and served as Church Warden for All Saints Anglican Church. He was the first President of the Melfort Agricultural Society, was an active member of the Masonic Order and supported the Red Cross Society after World War I began, as an inspirational speaker. Unfortunately his own future was cut short and Doc Shadd passed away at the age of 45 of appendicitis.
Life in Saskatchewan
Came to Saskatchewan in 1896. Died 9 March 1915 in Winnipeg, Man. and is buried in Melfort, Sask.
Health Politics Agriculture Communication
Born in 1870 at Raleigh Township, Kent County, ON